Pacman to Pokemon Ages 8 – 12
2D Retro Style Game Design
Campers are divided into two groups by age and skill level: 7-10 years & 10-12 years. No previous coding experience necessary!
Beginner to Intermediate: Code and create your own monsters and game characters! Discover the dynamic programming and design strategies behind games like Pacman and Pokemon. Campers will learn and refine a variety of digital media skills including coding, game art & animation. We’ll cover:
- Coding Skills using Gamemaker’s drag and drop coding blocks
- 2D Character Design & Animation
- Game Planning and Design
- Multilevel Game Design & Strategies
Students will use a world class game engine called Gamemaker Studio 2, available for no cost as a Trial version. It can run on MacOS or Windows computers.
At week’s end campers can showcase their games for friends & family!
DATE: Aug 9-13th
This is a ONE-WEEK virtual camp
TIMES: 12:30-2:30 PM AST (Nova Scotia, NB, PEI)
And 11:30-1:30 PM EST (Ontario, New York)
TIMES IN DIFFERENT LOCATIONS
Please double check your local times for accuracy
4:30-6:30 PM GMT – London, United Kingdom
12:30-2:30 PM AST – Nova Scotia, New Brunswick
11:30-1:30 PM EST – Ontario, New York, Florida
10:30-12:30 PM CST- Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nunavut, Wisconsin
9:30-11:30 AM MST – Alberta, Colorado, Mexico
8:30-10:30 AM PST – Vancouver, Washington, California
Add to your skills with Roblox or Unity 3D camp where we transition to writing scripts!
This program will equip & improve your child’s digital literacy skills in:
- Coding with an Object Oriented Language
- Creative Problem Solving
- Planning and strategising
We provide a creative and socially stimulating learning environment that can:
- Boost self-esteem
- Foster independent learning
- Enhance creative use of technology
Take a Sneek Peek
Into one of the classes
Justin tells Samantha how he created his game using Gamemaker Studio .
Be sure to check out our Artech Game Arcade with examples of Gamemaker Games created in our 2D Game Design camps. You can play these onlline!
How do I prepare for virtual programs?
- Check out our Virtual Set up and Information page with tips and suggestions for getting ready.
How do I join the class?
- You will receive a Zoom Access Link by email on the Saturday before the camp starts.
Requirements to follow along in this program:
- Mac, PC Computer
- Web Cam & Good Internet Connect
- Access to Zoom Video Conferencing
- Refer to the two Setup videos below for software requirements